Please support this local charity
Mary’s Place by the Sea, established in 2009, is a mission to support women during and after cancer treatment. Located in Ocean Grove, New Jersey, currently in a beautifully renovated home, one block from the Atlantic Ocean, guests are invited to stay with us from one to three days, at no charge. During their stay, we offer a variety of supportive holistic services to help women cope with the stresses of cancer.
Through oncology massage, guided meditation, nutritional counseling, restorative yoga, journaling, psychotherapy and most importantly unconditional LOVE, women are able to relax, rejuvenate and release.
Due to the overwhelming response to our program, we are building a new home, also in Ocean Grove, which we look forward to opening in early 2016!
Mary’s Place offers a wide range of complimentary services to our guests. We work with you to customize your visit so that you can take advantage of as many, or as few, of these services as you want. We can also develop customized services if you let us know what you need in advance. All of our services are provided by experienced, highly-qualified practitioners.
- Oncological Massage: Potential benefits of oncology massage that enhance the quality of life for a person with cancer include: improved mood by alleviating stress, anxiety, and depression, reduce fatigue and increase energy, enhance sleep, increase alertness and mental clarity, detoxification, without hepatic overload, pain reduction, and reduce need for pain medication, increased lymph flow and enhanced immune function, improved range of motion resulting in enhanced joint function, better tolerance for treatment-related side effects like nausea, decreased edema and lymphedema, enhanced body image, improved sense of well-being, quicker recovery times.
- Reiki/Healing Touch therapy: Reiki is a gentle, noninvasive, hands on therapy that is deeply relaxing and assists with heating the whole person. Reiki, a Japanese word meaning universal life force energy, is a simple, natural and safe method that treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation, balance, and feelings of peace, and well-being. One most likely will experience the feeling of a deep relaxation, warmth and calmness during and after a Reiki treatment. There is no belief system or religion attached to Reiki and it is suitable for all ages and types of people.
- Integrative Self-Care Therapies: This group session of integrative therapies are offered and taught for all Mary’s Place guests to take home tools to help aid you through your personal journey, Over an hour of toning, EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), Guided Visualization and Body Awakening (tapping). Other modalities may be included.
- Nutritional counseling: Linda M. Jensen, CCSE presents the “science behind the nutrition” with an emphasis on pH balance, resulting in a strong, healthy immune system. Not one size fits all, nutritional counseling meets the needs of our guests at this very vulnerable time. It is considered and met with the latest resources and research to create wellness for a lifetime.
- Journal Writing: Writing therapy is a form of expressive therapy that uses the act of writing and processing the written word as therapy. Writing therapy posits that writing one’s feelings gradually eases feelings of emotional trauma. Writing therapeutically can take place individually or in a group.
- Social Worker/Counseling: Work with a licensed professional in a one on one setting helping our guests who may be dealing with social, emotional, and environmental problems associated with an illness or disability.
- Gentle Yoga – Designed for cancer patients and survivors, our sessions include mild exercise, stretching and breathing to promote awareness, spirituality and calmness. May be individual or in a group and can be modified according the needs our guests. Weather permitting our yoga session can be done on the beach.